Jacquie‘s tips on quilting by hand included:
- Do whatever length of stitch comes naturally to you. Evenness is far more important than stitch length.
- Stitch to flatten the background, this will make the design more sculptural and it’ll stand out more.
- Variegated thread can make hand quilting look even far more complicated than the stitching really is.
- Hand quilting on a whole cloth is easier than on a pieced top as there aren’t seams. Nor do you spend your time first stitching the pieces together, but you get straight into the quilting design.
- Consider using a very thin backing e.g. muslin, as an initial backing when hand quilting to reduce the amount of fabric you have to get a needle through.
- Keep your stitches vertical!